Usually, sperm/semen/egg/embryo are kept frozen in a laboratory for future use. The facility in a hospital or clinic to preserve the sperm is termed as ‘sperm cryobanking’. Most people seek this method for the following reasons:
- To preserve the sperm for future if they are undergoing any treatment which may harm the production or function of the sperm.
- Intake of certain medications may harm the sperm production and quality.
- Undergoing for certain procedures that may affect the prostate, testes or the ability to ejaculate.
- Having a medical condition that affects the ability to ejaculate.
- Individuals who undergoes vasectomy.There can be various other reasons due to which one may seek sperm cryobanking. The sperm will be stored in a cold temperature of -196 F. The sperm has to be stored very carefully as any damage may cause the sperm unusable in the future.