An arrangement between a woman and a couple or individual to carry and deliver a baby is called as surrogacy. This process is very much controversial and has many legal liabilities in all the states. It is very expensive, time consuming and emotional process. Surrogacy is arranged to help infertile couple when they wish to have a child of their own. Surrogacy is chosen in cases such as :
- If the female partner has an abnormal or missing uterus.
- If the couple had multiple pregnancy losses
- If the couple had experienced frequent IVF failures
Through the surrogacy process, the couple can get a child which is biologically their own. Arrangement for surrogacy procedure is done either through an agency or contracted privately by individuals. The couple may find a surrogate mother with the help of the internet, and agency or through family and friends. There are different types of surrogacy, which includes the following:
- Gestational Surrogacy: It is considered to be one of the most secure types of surrogacy. In this method, the embryo created using IVF with the help of the egg and sperm collected from the intended parents will be inseminated to the surrogate mother. This procedure helps the intended parents to have strong genetic relations with the child.
- Using an Egg Donor: This option is chosen when the intended mother faces difficulty in producing quality eggs. In such cases, the eggs are bought from the donors. For some, it is a way of income. Whereas for some others, it is a service. The eggs can be collected personally from individuals (donors) or can seek the help of clinics and agencies where they collect and sell eggs.
- Altruistic Surrogacy:In this procedure, the surrogate mother will not get any reward or remuneration for pregnancy. All the medical and related expenses will be taken by the intended parents. There might not be any extra payment for altruistic surrogacy.
- Commercial Surrogacy: It is a legal procedure in India and several other countries. In this process, the individual or the intended parents pay money to the woman for carrying and delivering a baby. After delivery, the surrogate mother will hand over the child to the intended parents through the legal adoption process or privately.
The legal side of surrogacy process is not a simple one and a registered doctor can only help the couple for this.